Everything to Know About Wisdom Tooth Pain
Wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, can bring discomfort and pain as they emerge at the back of the mouth.
These late-developing teeth often lead to various oral health issues, leading most people to wisdom tooth removal.
Even so, you may wonder “How long does the pain from wisdom teeth last?”
Find out everything you need to know about wisdom tooth pain, including the various factors that affect it.
Why Do Wisdom Teeth Cause Pain?
Wisdom tooth eruption can be painful, leading to tenderness, swelling, and discomfort. But how long does the pain last from wisdom teeth? It can dramatically vary among different people. However, wisdom tooth pain tends to last for a few days to several weeks. It can also be anywhere from mildly uncomfortable to immensely painful.
Factors Affecting Wisdom Tooth Pain
Several factors can influence the duration of pain from wisdom teeth:
- Position and Alignment: Impacted teeth cannot erupt due to the lack of space or angle they are growing. This tends to make them more painful for longer.
- Degree of Impaction: The level of impaction can affect your pain while you have wisdom teeth as well as after removal. Fully impacted wisdom teeth are completely covered by bone or gum tissue, and they are much more painful.
- Surgical Extraction: Surgical extraction of wisdom teeth is more painful and requires a longer recovery time than a simple extraction. Surgical removal of wisdom teeth is used on impacted teeth.
- In cases where surgical removal of wisdom teeth becomes necessary, the recovery time and associated pain may be slightly prolonged compared to a simple extraction. Surgical extraction involves the removal of gum tissue or bone to access the tooth, which can contribute to a lengthier healing process.
Signs to Visit a Dentist for Wisdom Tooth Removal
If you’re struggling with wisdom tooth pain, extraction may be right for you. Here are some signs to consider wisdom tooth extraction:
- Excessive pain in the back of the mouth
- Dental x-rays show that wisdom teeth will be impacted based on their position and angle
- Concerns or signs of overcrowding from emerging wisdom teeth
- Headaches and earaches
- Bleeding or inflamed gums at the sight.
Visit Smiles on Souris for Wisdom Tooth Removal in Weyburn, SK
On average, wisdom tooth pain lasts for a few days to a few weeks. However, the alignment, degree of impaction, and the need for surgical extraction can influence the healing time after extraction.
If you are experiencing pain from wisdom teeth or suspect that they may need to be removed, contact Smiles on Souris in Weyburn. Our dedicated general dental team offers comprehensive dental care, including wisdom tooth removal in Weyburn, SK. Schedule an appointment today and take the first step toward a pain-free and healthy smile!